The Adomi Bridge is situated between Atimpoku on the Eastern side and the small town of Adomi on the Western side of the bridge. It was designed by the famous British structural engineer and bridge designer William Christopher Brown in the early 1950s with construction setting off in 1956 and seeing completion a year later in 1957.
While the design was done by Williams W. Brown, the actual construction was headed by famous engineering firm, Sir William Halcrow and Partners which is now known as Halcrow Group Ltd.
The facility according to official documents cost Dr. Kwame Nkrumah’s government $2.4million and weighs around 900 tones, however, major renovations in recent years may have possibly changed its weight.
Sixty years after its construction, many still praise Ghana’s first president Dr. Kwame Nkrumah for his vision in seeing the need to have a major bridge that connects the Eastern region and the Volta region and making it one of his priority projects upon assumption of office as Prime Minister in 1957.
HISTORICAL FUN FACTS
-The bridge was commissioned by Dr. Kwame Nkrumah and senior British government official, Sir Charles Noble Clark on January 25th, 1957, two months before the official declaration of independence.
-Adomi Bridge is currently the second-longest bridge in Ghana with a length of 334metres, second only to the Sogakope Bridge which measures at 650metres long.
-In 2009, the government of Ghana imposed a weight limit on the Bridge in a bid to slow down the rate of damage after it was revealed that the Bridge was being damaged by heavy-load trucks.
-In 2014, the government closed down the bridge for major renovation and rehabilitation works to take place at a cost of 14million dollars
Still have some travel questions? Ask in our Travel WhatsApp Group.