Ghana Armed Forces Museum
The Ghana Armed forces museum was established in 1953 by the then colonial masters of Ghana (then known as Gold Coast) to serve as a historical centre where the military history and might of Ashanti and Ghana as a whole could be learnt.
While other historical artefacts are kept at the museum, most of the artefacts found within the facility are related to the British-Ashanti war of the 1900. Regalia, primitive weapons used by the Ashanti soldiers, maps which belonged to the British camp are all in display at the museum.
Fittingly, the museum is located in the heart of the Ashanti regional capital Kumasi, on the Stewart Ave street.
While the museum was established during the colonial administration of the British, the building that serves as the museum was originally built by an Ashanti King in the early 1800s as a fortress to protect the royal house of the Ashanti against imminent European attacks on the royal family.
Aside showing artefacts from the famous British –Ashanti war, the museum is also home to artefact from the World War II which Ghanaians soldiers took part on the side of the British as well as artefacts and material remains from the infamous 1966 coup that oversaw the overthrow of Dr. Kwame Nkrumah.
British Military cemetery could also be a plus for tourists as the facility is located directly opposite the museum. The cemetery served as a burial ground for soldiers who died in the British-Ashanti War as well as British colonial administration officials.