Dawadawa is a fermented paste from the seeds of the African locust bean tree with a distinctive odour and flavour. It is popular among the Northern folks in Ghana.
Locust Bean (Dawadawa).
Most of their delicacies are flavoured with Dawa Dawa, Tuozaafi and Chinkaafa are a particular hit with Dawa Dawa. Dawadawa has a lot of health benefits; it’s good for the eyes and prevents hypertension amongst, etc.
Due to its numerous health benefits, a lot of people besides the Northern folks in Ghana use it in cooking.
Dawadawa is sold in balls.
Jetsanza.com takes a look at how to prepare the famous Ghanaian dish, the Dawa Dawa Jollof. It is delicious, rich in protein, and very easy to prepare.
The recipe follows after the advertisement.
WHAT OTHERS ARE READING:
- Reasons you could be denied boarding on a flight
- Bank Statement For Visa Application: How much balance is enough?
- ‘My bank statement is genuine, why was my visa application refused’ – Question from reader
- Three Ways To Move To Spain Legally
EDITORIAL POLICY: Permission to use quotation from this article, or entire article, is granted subject to full credit of source being given by referencing the direct link of the article on Jetsanza.com. Read our Copyright Policy to learn more about copying from Jetsanza.com.
Dawadawa Jollof Rice (Locust Bean Jollof)Print Recipe
- 8 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Size Onion
- 1 Ball Dawadawa
- 2 Cups Rice
- 1 Large Smoked Fish
- 85g Cooking Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash tomatoes and Pepper with a pinch of salt, Cut tomatoes into preferred sizes and blend with the Pepper
- Wash and Chop Onions into preferred sizes
- Onions should be fried in hot oil, after which blended mixture of tomatoes and Pepper would be added.
- Prepare the fish depending on the preferred type be used.
- Add the prepared fish to the Dawa Dawa.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Depending on how soft you want your rice, add a reasonable amount of water and half a teaspoon of salt.
- You can now wash your raw rice and add it to the boiling stew.
- Leave it to boil for about 30 minutes.
- If preferred, Dawa Dawa Jollof can be garnished with vegetables.
Dawadawa Jollof Rice (Locust Bean Jollof)