A Schengen visa permits the holder to travel through the schengen area for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days. 26 countries make up the Schengen area and they have their borders opened. Travelers do not pass through passport control.
Though schengen visa gives you access to all the member states, you are to obtain the visa from the country which you intend visiting first.
You can apply for a Schengen visa up to 90 days before your planned date of travel.
Travel within the schengen area is like a domestic trip from Accra to Kumasi. Only an ID is required but sometimes airlines check to see if you still have a valid schengen visa. When traveling from Paris to Frankfurt, not even my Passport was checked.
The Schengen States
Below are the member states of schengen where schengen visas allow travelers to pass freely.
- Czech Republic
European countries that are not member of the Schengen States
- United Kingdom
The member states have uniform visa requirements except when you are visiting friends, family members or settling.
Below are the requirements for Schengen Visa:
General Requirements for all Schengen countries
- Appointment confirmation; if the embassy requires you book an appointment in advance.
- Completed and signed visa application form for Schengen visa. Most embassies prefer the signing date matches the date of submission.
- 1 recent passport picture with white background
- Visa fee; payable in Ghana Cedis
- Valid passport and 1 copy of the passport data page. It should have at least two blank pages for visa and stamps and must be valid for at least 6 months.
- Previous passports, if any or available
- Birth certificate
- Flight reservation for round-trip (not a paid ticket)
- Travel health insurance valid for all Schengen States. It’s always good for your insurance to exceed your intended number of days.
- Proof of accommodation / hotel reservation. Learn how to book hotel to support visa application here.
11. Proof of sufficient financial means for intended stay
- If you are paying for your trip yourself, personal bank statement for the past three to six months
- If you will be sponsored by someone, READ HERE.
- If costs will be covered by the host/institution, it should be indicated in the invitation letter. Each country has a special document/invitation letter where such undertaking is made. See the country specific requirements for more details (coming soon).
12. Proof of social and economic ties to country of residence
- marriage certificate and birth certificates of dependent children, if applicable
- current personal bank statements of the last 3 months
- for children and students: official leave letter from school or university, including proof of paid school fees and reports
- if employed: letter of introduction from employer and payslips of the last 3 months
- if self-employed: business registration documents, tax clearance certificate, proof of active business (bills of lading, import declaration forms, invoices)
Applicants below 18 years of age are considered minors. If a minor is not accompanied by both parents: parental consent of both parents and copies of their passport/photo ID are required.
In case of sole parental custody, adequate proof has to be provided (e.g. court order, death certificate of other parent).
Additional requirements based on purpose of travel
- Visa/residence permit for final destination. It almost impossible to obtain a transit visa when your final destination is a visa-free country.
- Proof of purpose of trip to country of final destination (e.g. invitation letter)
- Signed invitation letter from inviting company
- Proof of inviting company is registered
- Verifiable proof of business with inviting company or proof of down payment, if applicable
- Letter from company in country of residence stating purpose of trip
Signed invitation letter and copy of host’s passport and residence permit. Invitation letters vary depending on member state. Details on how to obtain invitation letters from various countries will be published on Jetsanza.com soon.
Proof of family relation (e.g. birth certificate), if applicable
If purpose of trip is attending a funeral: additionally death certificate of the deceased and confirmation of appointment from the funeral home
Travel itinerary. See sample here.
- Letter from local doctor stating diagnosis
- Letter from foreign hospital/doctor stating agreement to treat patient and expected duration
- Overview of estimated costs of surgery/treatment.
- Proof of sufficient financial means for treatment and costs of living during the stay
- Proof of advance payment of at least 50% – receipt from foreign hospital/doctor
- Letter of invitation from organizer, inviting company or sports club
- Letter of introduction from Ghana Sports Council and/or respective sports association/federation that there is no objection for applicant to engage in tournaments or trials for transfers.
- Proof of sporting ability (e.g. CV, world ranking, trophies, selection for national team, personal records)
- Letter of introduction of association and musician card & proof of musical activities
- For recording: studio contract & transfer slip for instalment of studio fees
- For lessons: contract stating duration and payment
- For festivals or concerts: detailed concert schedule, contract stating duration and payment
- Letter from host institution or confirmed registration
- Information on duration (working hours a week), if applicable
- Information on expected salary, if applicable
- Proof of payment of the course (for language courses/training)
Visitors: trade fair ticket
Exhibitors: proof of registration at the trade fair and proof of payment
Letter of introduction from company in country of residence, company’s business registration documents, tax clearance certificate and bank statements of the last 3 to 6 months.
Schengen visa application process varies from member state to the other. Process for each member state will be available on Jetsanza.com shortly.