Ghana Passport Online Application: Guidelines, Processing Times, Fees, Duration and Tracking
Passport is a requirement for all international trips except where bilateral agreements permit the use of National ID cards. Jetsanza.com has prepared these simple guide to aid you through the passport application process.
The online applications are done through the Passport Application website https://passport.mfa.gov.gh/ and are only processed at the Accra Passport Application Center, Premium Passport Application Centers in Accra and Kumasi, Tema Passport Application Center and Koforidua Passport Application Center.
The online process involves scheduling an appointment to submit your documents and biometrics. You can opt for the Manual Forms if you wish to walk-in without booking an appointment.
1. Visit the Passport Application website at https://passport.mfa.gov.gh/ and Create a new user account.
2. Login with your chosen Username and Password and then click on Start New Application.
3. You are then required to Make Payment for processing fee before an application form will be issued to you to start the application.
4. Choose a bank, then choose an application type (standard or expedited), choose payment channel to make payment.
5. After a successful payment of the processing fee, the form is issued into your account to continue with your passport application. This form can be found at “My Applications”.
6. Complete all details on the form and sign the Declaration Form.
7. Book a date you will like to go to the Passport Application Center (PAC) for the verification of your documents and to take your biometric details (i.e. photograph and fingerprints).
8. Send the printed form to your Witness and Guarantors to sign their parts.
9. Visit the Passport Application Center with your application forms and additional documents for verification and to take your biometric details.
10. The date your passport will be ready for collection will be indicated on your receipt. Go to the Passport Application Center on the date indicated to you to collect your passport. The Premium PAC has the option for SMS alert and courier delivery.
Premium Passport Application Center: Additional GHS60 and other charges may apply for value-added services
Tracking Passport Application
The passport application status can be checked by logging in the Passport Application website. Then click on MY APPLICATIONS. Tap on the Applicant name and then click on STATUS to view the current state of the application.
Aside from the Premium PAC that has proven to process passports in two weeks for the expedited service, it is hard to know the exact processing times of the other application centres. It’s advisable to always apply well enough in advance before your intended use. Passports can delay weeks or months after the stated collection date.
Ghanaian Passports are valid for ten years from the date of issue. One can apply for a new one if the passport book gets full before the ten-year validity period.
Passport Application Requirement
- One passport size photo
- Proof of Ghanaian citizenship (Birth Certificate)
- Documents to support Identity (originals only) such as School Certificate, Driver’s Licence, Employment/Student / Other I.D. Cards.
- Previous Ghanaian passport issued to you (For renewals)
- Processing fee
- Police Report and an affidavit (For stolen and missing passports)
- Deed polls and marriage/divorce certificate (for change of names)
Ghana Passport Processing Time in the UK
Ghana Passport Application Fee For London and Dublin
- First Passport – £ 180.00
- Renewal Passport – £ 180.00
- Lost Passport – £ 250.00
- Damaged Passport – £ 190.00
- First Passport – £ 200.00
- Renewal Passport – £ 200.00
- Lost Passport – £ 220.00
- Damaged Passport – £ 300.00
Payment method for Ghana Passport Application in the UK
- Postal Order/ Banker’s draft in Pounds Sterling issued to ‘Ghana High Commission’ (for London Office applications)
- Postal Order/ Banker’s draft in Pounds Sterling issued to ‘The Honorary Consulate-General’ (for Glasgow Office applications)
- Postal Order/ Banker’s draft in Euros issued to ‘Ghana Consulate’ (for Dublin Office applications)
- Card payment at Counter (for London Office Counter applications)
- Online Payment
- Payment may be made by postal order/ banker’s draft by mail and at the counter. Cheques are not accepted. Blank Postal Orders/ Banker’s Drafts will not be accepted. Please do not post cash.
Application Process For Ghana Passport in the United Kingdom
- Visit the website of the Ghana High Commission in the UK to read and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Select your country and choose which city you want to make the application in.
- Select the desired date and complete the entire passport application form
- Follow on-screen instructions to complete the application form, print and have guarantors sign their respective sections.
- Honour your appointment with the required documents and payment for processing fees.
Passport Application Requirement
- Evidence of citizenship and Evidence of Identity such as:
a. Birth Certificate
b. National Identity Card
c. Old Passport
d. Voter ID Card
e. Dual Citizenship/ Naturalization/ Registration Certificate
f. Proof of name change if by Affidavit or Gazette Publication
- Police Report and Affivadit (For missing and stolen passports)
- Old Passport (for renewals)
- Completed application form signed by Applicant, Guarantors and Witness
Application process for passport in Berlin
- Complete the Passport Application Form online on the Application Portal of the Ghana Mission in Berlin, Germany.
- Read the on-screen instructions and hit on APPLY NOW.
- Read the instructions and go-ahead to complete the application forms.
- Once form is completed, book appointment and print out the forms.
- Have guarantors and witness sign their sections
- Pay the application fee into the account of the Ghana High Commission
- Honour your appointment on the date chosen with the required documents, the signed form and proof of payment. Add a self-addressed DHL envelope if you want the passport mailed to you.
Ghana Passport Application Witnesses
Any of the following persons to whom the applicant is personally known qualifies to sign as a witness:
- A Senior Clergyman/Woman
- A commissioned officer of the Armed Forces (Captain and above); or persons of equivalent rank in the security services
- A Senior Civil or Public Servant (Principal Executive Officer and above )
- A Registered Medical Practioner
- A Solicitor or Barrister
- Head of recognised Educational Institution
- Other recognised professionals registered with their respective regulating bodies
Application fees for Ghanaian Passport in Berlin
- Biometric Passport (Application & Processing) – €200.00 (Express €350.00)
- Lost/Missing/Damaged – €300.00 (Express €400.00)
- Endorsement (When/Where Applicable) – €20
Payment Details for the Ghana Embassy in Berlin
Account Name: GHANA EMBASSY GENERAL ACCOUNT
Bank Name: Deutsche Bank Berlin
Address: Unter den Linden 13/15, 10117 Berlin
IBAN: DE82 100 7000 000 6356 4900
Indicate the purpose of payment and applicant’s full name
In cases of Bank Payment, the reference number of the application should be indicated.