Question From Readers: How can I join my cousin the USA?


The process of joining your cousin in the USA will depend on your specific circumstances and the type of visa you are eligible for. Here are some general steps you can take:

  1. Determine your eligibility: There are several ways to join family members in the USA, including through family-based immigration. To be eligible, you must have a qualifying relationship with a US citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR), such as a parent, spouse, sibling, or child. However, there are specific requirements and limitations depending on the type of relationship.
  2. Choose the appropriate visa category: Once you determine your eligibility, you will need to choose the appropriate visa category. For example, if your cousin is a US citizen, you may be eligible for a family-based immigrant visa, such as the F4 visa for siblings. If you plan to visit your cousin temporarily, you may be eligible for a visitor visa, such as the B-2 visa.
  3. File a petition: If you are eligible for a family-based immigrant visa, your cousin may need to file a petition on your behalf with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This petition will establish the qualifying relationship and begin the process of obtaining a visa.

The processing time for a visa application can vary depending on the type of visa and the current backlog of applications. For family-based immigrant visas, the wait can be several years or more, depending on the visa category and country of origin.


If your visa application is approved, you may need to attend an interview at a US embassy or consulate in your home country. This interview will determine your eligibility to enter the USA.

It’s important to note that the process of joining family members in the USA can be complex and time-consuming. It may be helpful to consult with an immigration lawyer or a reputable immigration organization for guidance and assistance.

15 49.0138 8.38624 1 0 4000 1 300 0