Most nationals need a visa when travelling to China and citizens of the United States are no exception. The Chinese visa application process require that applicants complete an online visa application form.
Before you go ahead to complete the form, make sure you have the following information ready:
Information required to fill Chinese Visa Application Form
- Passport details
- Details of old passports, if any
- Passport photo
- Address and contact details of contact in China
- Names and addresses of all hotels you will be staying
- Arrival and departure details
- Emergency contacts
- Employment details or School information if you are a student
- Educational institutions you have attended since High School
- Names, address, and date of birth of your parents and children, if any
- Details of immediate relatives in China, if any
- Details of sponsor if you are not paying for the trip yourself
- Details of persons you are traveling with, if any
- Details of previous China travel and Chinese visas issued, if any
- Details of valid visas in passports
- Places you have visited in the past 5 years
Passport Photo requirement for Chinese visa
The images below show the passport photo requirement for a Chinese Visa.
How to complete the Chinese Online Visa Application form
- Visit the Chinese online visa application platform.
- Select continent and country. If you are in the United States, select the closest state to you where you can visit to make your application. The selection cannot be changed once you proceed from this stage. So be sure you have selected the right place you wish to visit to lodge your application.
- Read the Guidelines for Completing the China Online Visa Application (COVA) and then click on START APPLICATION
- An application ID will show up. Copy and save it because you will need it to retrieve your application later on. The application ID is in this format 2021061638580136670.
- Scroll down a bit to upload your passport photograph. The uploader gives you the chance to crop the image to the required size.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the details and keep moving to SAVE AND NEXT. Select SAVE if you need to get some information and return to it later.
- Once the form is completed, you will be allowed to review and make the necessary changes. If there is nothing to change, click on CONFIRM AND NEXT.
- Sign declaration and the SUBMIT. The form will automatically be downloaded. Print it and include it in your visa application when visiting the embassy.
Booking an Appointment to submit Chinese Visa Application
After printing the completed visa application form, scroll to the bottom and hit on BOOK AN APPOINTMENT. Read the instructions, then hit on CONTINUE to enter your personal details and Application ID. Follow onscreen instructions to select the date and time you want to make your application at the Chinese Embassy.